Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bipolar Disorder

While entertaining myself on the interwebz today I learned a horrible thing. There are crazy assholes out there who are giving people with a Bipolar diagnosis a bad reputation. I swear, it would seem that most people, because of their experience with these assholes, think that anyone who is Bipolar is a garunteed wrecking ball!

This irritates me. It irritates me a lot! I am Bipolar. I am not an uncontrollable beast resembling The Hulk. Yes, I have issues. Yes, those issues are excessive and extreme at times. No, I am not some untrustworthy PITA who's determined to destroy relationships and control the world around me at all costs! I'm not going to flip out on you if you don't walk on eggshells around me!

Are there times I'm going to be irritated by things people say and do? Yes, but everyone has those moments. Are there going to be days my reactions seem extreme? Yes, however I'm not going to just completely freak out on you!

Why? Because, like many (I dare say most) Bipolar people, I care about my health and relationships. I get proper treatment for my diagnosis. I learn about it, learn ways to manage it. I understand it, and I know it isn't an excuse for poor behavior. I actually expect there to be consequences when I act poorly!

Those of us with Bipolar disorder are NOT automatically unstable, pissed off, furiously enraged assholes! We are NOT garunteed to just freak out on you if you tell us something we don't like. We are NOT garunteed to freak out on you if you do something we don't like.

Yes, we have a mental diagnosis. Yes, it affects how our brains work. Yes, if our particular brand of Bipolar includes manics we can get unreasonably angry, sometimes explosively so (though these explosions are generally short lived).

However, we are NOT defined by our diagnosis!







Ok. Venting and ranting over. Below is some information taken from various medical websites about Bipolar Disorder.

One of my favorite sites is this one. It's very informative.

There is also some good information here. This is the Abilify website. This is the medication I am personally taking for Bipolar I - Mixed.




Types of Bipolar Disorder:

• Bipolar I - Defined by manic or mixed episodes lasting at least 7 days, or mania so severe it requires hospitalization. Usually, the person also has depressive episodes lasting about two weeks. These episodes, manic and depressive, must be a drastic change from the person's typical normal behavior.
- Mixed episodes are depressive episodes that display manic symptoms.

• Bipolar II - Defined by periods of depressive episodes alternating with hypomanic episodes. The difference is there is never a full-blown manic episode, and there are no mixed episodes.

• Bipolar NOS (not otherwise specified) - A person shows signs of Bipolar disorder, but the symptoms either do not last long enough to qualify as Bipolar I or II. The other option is that there just are not enough of the symptoms present at the same time to be diagnosed with I or II. However, the behaviors are clearly not within the person's "normal" behavior range.

• Cyclothymia - This is a mild form of Bipolar disorder. People with this have episodes of hypomania that alternate with mild depression for at least two years, however symtoms are not severe enough for other types of Bipolar disorder.

My own diagosis is Bipolar I. My episodes are either entirely manic, or are mixed. I have not needed hospital care as of yet, however I have had explosive manic episodes. They are rare occurance, as I have learned to recognize an episode and can take action to try and control myself before I blow up. This does not mean I will not "freak out", but it does mean there is less of a chance of a full "blow up" (when things become TOO excessive). Mostly my manics are "normal" manics.

As for my depressive episodes, they are not soley depression. Being mixed, my depressions also exhibit manic symptoms. I will be depressed, but will still have excessive energy. I could be highly irritable. In a nut-shell, I'm depressively "on edge".



Causes:

• There is no known cause for Bipolar disorder, just as there is no known cause for the occurance of episodes. The disorder affects both men and women, and usually develops in a person's late teens to early twenties. Sometimes signs can appear early in childhood, however.

• Bipolar disorder does appear to run in families. Genetics may play a role.

• Drugs and alcohol can trigger episodes, however their use may also be a symptom of an episode.

• It is important to know that this is a brain disorder that results in unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity-levels, and the ability to carry ut day-to-day tasks.



Symptoms:

Manic Episodes:

• Mood Changes
- feeling "high", overly happy and outgoing
- extremely irritable, aggitated, feeling "jumpy" or "wired"

• Behavioral Changes
- talking very fast, racing thoughts, topic jumping
- easily distracted
- increase in goal-directed projects, over-involvement in projects
- restlessness, little to no sleep
- inflated self-esteem, delusions of grandure, false belief in special abilities
- acting impulsively
- risky behaviors - examples: spending sprees, impulsive sex, substance abuse
- little to no temper control

Depressive Episodes:

• Mood Changes
- feeling worried or empty
- loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities, including sex
- persistent sadness

• Behavioral Changes
- feeling tired and "slowed down"
- trouble concentrating, remembering things, and making decisions
- thoughts of suicide
- sleep disturbances
- eating disturbances



Treatment:

• Mood stabilizers - generally the first line of treatment.

• Atypical antipsychotic medications - if a person experiences psychotic symptoms (hallucinations) during an episode, these may be needed.

• Antidepressants - if needed, it's given along with the mood stabilizer as taking only an antidepressant can cause an increase in manic episodes.

• Psychotherapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy - learn how to control and change negative behaviors
- Family-focused therapy - enhance family coping strategies
- Interpersonal and social rhythm therapy - learn how to improve relationships, routines
- Psychoeducation - teach about the diagnosis and how to recognize episodes and control



While Bipolar disorder is highly disrutive of a person's life, it can be very well managed with a proper treatment plan. Once treatment has begun, it is important to maintain it as this is a lifelong illness and cannot be fully controlled without help.

It is important for someone with Bipolar disorder to keep a set routine. Routines, knowing what to expect each day, can help prevent manic episodes.

It is also important they get enough sleep. Lack of sleep can lead to manic episodes.

It is important that the people around a Bipolar person do not feed into their symptoms. Enabling and excusing behaviors will not help somenoe with Bipolar disorder learn to control themselves.


2 comments:

  1. I love this post!!! I followed the link from BC, and I just finished reading it, and I had to tell you that I found it incredibley helpful. I'm B2, & the description made total sence. I'm recently diagnosed, & it made a few more things click. So thanks very much for this post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bipolar Disorder is the new Schizophrenia. Back in the day, it was the thing to do to diagnose anyone who didn't adhere to the norm of society as a schizophrenic. Now, there are too many people running around diagnosing people as BP or claiming to be BP and it really fucks things up for people who actually are BP because these fakers use it as an excuse to be total assholes. Same with ADD, ADHD, etc. So many people are quick to say, "I have (insert disorder here) it's not my fault!!!" It skews society's perspective on the disorder. It pisses me off.

    There is still such a stigma attached to mental health issues. A lot of people don't realize that a person can lead a totally normal life with proper medication and therapy.

    I don't have BP, but I do have Major Depressive Disorder. When I'm on a medication that works, I can function well. When I'm on a medication that works AND I go to talk therapy, I'm fucking golden. You're absolutely right that we are not defined by our diagnosis. It's because we don't allow it. Some people do. It makes me want to kick kittens.

    ReplyDelete